Sunday, September 21, 2008

Ward Conference and the Next Four Years

I got to go to church today. I have not been able to go to church for the last 3 weeks, because I have been working the last 3 weekends. I do not like not being able to go to church. My week just is not the same. This Sunday would normally by my week to teach, but it was Ward Conference instead. That was certainly fine with me. I was happy not to teach, but to just sit and enjoy the talks and lessons. This Ward Conference was the last Ward Conference for this current Stake Presidency. They have been serving for 9 years. They have been a blessing to our Stake, especially the Stake President. He now has cancer. I think he is a great man. In Relief Society today he took the time to answer any Gospel questions that we, as Sisters, had. There were some questions submitted prior to the meeting that he answered first. They were interesting questions, most of which I already knew the answers to, but it was wonderful to know that he cared enough to take the time to just answer questions.

I wanted to ask him what his thoughts were about what would happen if Obama were elected, but I knew there were some democrats in the room and there was not enough time to ask. I'm wondering (if Obama is elected) if the Savior will be coming in the next 4 years or so. Only because Obama has stated that he will support the Muslims and not the Jews in Jerusalem (even though the Jews are God's chosen people and are the children of the Birthright son). I wonder what some of the General Authorities and Church Leaders feel about this upcoming election.

Lately, I have felt very strongly about my duties as a citizen of the United States. Perhaps it is because Mom is always watching something about the election on TV. I feel like I have certain duties to my country. I feel a duty to support the economy by buying American, particularly by driving an American-made car (yes, I feel it is my duty to buy an American-made car....some people think I'm nuts....I just think they don't get it), to support and honor the troop who fight for my nation, and especially to study the issues and pray about who should be the next leaders of the United States. For instance, (ok this is really kind of silly) last night I was at a YSA activity. There were several kinds of potato salads: Mustard, Jack's, American, and some other kind. Well, I was encouraging people to eat the American potato salad, because we were "American". This was a bit over board, I think, but I was really quite adamant about this. Sometimes I think people just don't care anymore.....especially young single adults. People don't realize that this President thing is going to effect the life of every American for the next 4 YEARS. Four years...that's a long time. Anyway, that's just how I feel.

No comments: