Saturday, September 6, 2008

Labor Day at the Hospital

While most normal people got to go to picnics, eat hot dogs and hamburgers off the grill, see fireworks, and enjoy the company of family and friends, I got to work the evening shift on Labor Day. I don't usually work until 11, so it was a late night for me. The most memorable ER visit that night was a guy, Jay, came in all beat up and bloody. He is one of our "frequent flyers" (as we call them) at the hospital. He shared his story about being attacked by an ex-con across the street from the hospital. I encouraged him to try to clean up some in the bathroom and gave him some gauze for his bloody face. The interesting thing, though, about this night was that about an hour or so later another guy came in with a thumb laceration and a hand injury. He told his story about a man trying to stab him with a knife. I thought, hmmm......could these two be related??? I was correct in my assumption. Three police cars came speeding up and stormed in to try to find Henry, the ex-con who beat up Jay. They were both in the ER at the same time. I thought that was interesting, and was just waiting for another brawl. I must say that I was scared.....and I thought Lansing was supposed to be dangerous...not the little towns around Lansing!!! In the end the police didn't drag anyone out of the hospital....at least not while I was there. It was certainly an eventful evening for me, and that was just two of the ER visits that night. :-)

1 comment:

Mandy H said...

I like your story, sounds scary and exciting. At least you have something interesting to see at work. :)